WEEKEND PROJECTS PT. 2

 Processed with VSCO with oak2 preset

Raise your hand if you spend your weekends working on an endless list of home projects? No? Must only be me then. Lately I've been tackling some of the smaller annoyances on my list, along with one really big project (see project 3). I like to think that together they make a bigger overall impact. Here are 3 to-dos I'm very happy to have crossed off the list - 

weekend projects pt. 2 | mismatched door knobs | via: chatham st. house
weekend projects pt. 2 | mismatched door knobs | via: chatham st. house
weekend projects pt. 2 | mismatched door knobs | via: chatham st. house

Project 1: Replacing mismatched door handles (sort of)

Fun fact, all of the door knobs in our house were different styles and finishes, no two were alike. Kind of like snowflakes, but unlike snowflakes I was not a fan of this unique quirk. The issue with immediately going out and buying new door knobs, was the fact I want all of the features in the hall and foyer to be aged brass, and the features in the second floor rooms to be brushed nickel. What to do?

We have 4, non-closet, interior doors - 2 bedroom doors, 1 basement door, and 1 bathroom door. The bathroom obviously needs to lock, but the other doors were a little unnecessary. So, I bought 2 Schlage Georgian Privacy Knobs (1 stain nickel / 1 aged brass), and 2 Schlage Georgian Passage Knobs (1 stain nickel / 1 aged brass).

I took the knobs apart and created my own version of mismatched doorknobs - The interior knob is the Schlage satin nickel, and the exterior knob is Schlage aged brass. I'd like to think they're a little more tasteful than our original scenario though.

weekend projects pt. 2 | updating a heating grate | via: chatham st. house
weekend projects pt. 2 | updating a heating grate | via: chatham st. house

Project 2: A temporary heating grate update

Next on the list was a rather large and ugly intake vent in our living room. It was rusty, beat up, and an all around eye sore. I don't have the budget to upgrade it yet, so I scrubbed it down, and gave it a good coat or two with Rust-Oleum Spray Paint.  It's not perfect, but it looks a lot better and will keep me from wanting to rip my hair out every time I open our basement door.

 Processed with VSCO with kk1 preset

Project 3: Stripping the staircase

Our biggest renovation project to-date has been the staircase. We've spent the last month slowly (slowly) stripping the steps, sanding them, repairing the banisters, and testing paint colors. The detailed woodwork has been revealed and it made the entire effort worthwhile. We thought we were sold on a paint color, and then I started testing shades on the wall and realized I don't at all. I'm looking for an almost black blue, but the lighter walls are making it read navy not black. Back to the drawing board... - b.